South Chilterns Catchment
Meeting of the Lower Middle Thames sub-catchment
11 February 2014 - Withymead Nature Reserve
Dave Wales – Thame Fisheries Consultative
Johnny Johnston - RYA
Keith Tomey – Withymead Nature Reserve
Mike Overall – The Chilterns Society; Little Marlow Lakes
Allen Beechey – Chilterns Chalk Stream Project
Maxine Forshaw – FWR
Neil Tytler - FWR
Alison Love – Catchment Co-ordinator, EA
- Options Appraisal (OA) document has been drawn up by the EA (a ‘living’ doc). The OA document has a prioritisation list of 1,2,3,4 – the prioritisation refers to which actions/projects are most likely to improve the river ecology; the most likely to do this are classified as 3 and 4. Priority 1s and 2s are good ideas but not critical to large-scale improved ecology.
- Could be v useful to link with a wider Thames organisation (eg River Thames Trust/River Users Groups/River Thames Alliance) so that we have a stronger connection with the Thames corridor. .
- Landowner buy-in to proposed projects is critical.
- Non-WFD related issues are also of importance, such as recreation/navigation; eg can arrange and undertake path improvement and use the opportunity to naturalise the bank at the same time. Community projects.
- Invasive non-native species: brings communities together.
- Some projects can result in a ‘double hit’ eg removing a structure – eases flood conveyance and provides better fish passage.
- Allen mentioned would be worth looking at Essex River Hub and Ballinderry Rivers Trust for ideas of how they are set up and manage catchment tasks.
- Rivers for Life/Earth Trust at Shillingford: made be v useful to link up with them.
- Landfill tax – to use this the project needs to be within 10 miles of the waste operator; eg Ewelme Stream/Grundon.
- ACTION: Alison can produce a map showing the location of landfill sites.
- ACTION: Alison will email the OA spreadsheet to all.
- ACTION: All to put additional actions/project ideas on the spreadsheet and send to Alison and Maxine/Neil.
- ACTION: Neil will group the OA issues together and explore fitting these into the proposed matrix drawn up by Mike at the meeting, organising actions/projects into types and high/medium/low funding requirements. Allen suggested it would be useful to look at the ‘outcomes’ from the large stakeholder meetings held last year and link proposed actions/projects to these.
- ACTION: Allen will send Thames Water funding info to all.
- ACTION: Alison will look into the issue of Civil Sanctions.