Terms of Reference for the Foundation for Water Research Wastewater Forum
The Wastewater Forum was established by the Foundation for Water Research in 1995. The remit of the Forum concerns the integrated management of wastewater systems and water quality including:
- Catchment, surface water, and related environmental issues
- Sewage and wastewater collection and treatment;
- Water and wastewater re-use;
- Effluent and wastewater discharges to the environment;
- Sludge, biosolids and organic waste treatment and recycling;
- Resource recovery; and
- Public engagement and perception
Integrated management of wastewater is hugely important in the Water Cycle. It is essential in maintaining and improving the health of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems; maintaining and improving drinking water quality; ensuring the security of food production; and maximising flood control.
The overall aim of the forum is to improve and share scientific knowledge relating to wastewater; concentrating on emerging issues and knowledge gaps; working with all stakeholders including industry, academia, regulators, and individual and community users of water; facilitating ways to find practicable solutions to future wastewater challenges.
Aims and Objectives
The objects of the Forum are:
- Identify, promote, and keep under review the top key research issues in the wastewater sector;
- Identify those cases where relevant research results have not been taken forward into application;
- Define the detailed requirements for both science and application driven research necessary to address these issues to all potential funding agencies in the wastewater sector;
- Facilitate the development of collaborative research partnerships where appropriate;
- Disseminate research programmes and outputs to the water sector and encourage implementation of research results;
- Use appropriate media for the publication of newsletters and reports on Forum activities and outputs.
The Forum normally meets three times a year and seeks to achieve the objects through the following:
- Application of the knowledge and experience of Forum members in the identification and continuous review of key issues;
- Involvement of appropriate specialists to identify the limitations of current knowledge;
- Management of an invited and facilitated workshop series to identify science and application research requirements and priorities within the wastewater sector;
- Utilisation of the networks of Forum members for the dissemination of research needs, programmes and outputs together with the promotion of the benefits;
- Maximising the use of digital and print media to promote the activity of the Foundation;
- Preparation of papers and articles by Forum members for appropriate conferences and publications; and
- Publication of an annual report of Forum activities and results.