Wastewater Innovation Forum

Notes of the 62nd Forum meeting of 14th June 2017

  1. Attendees

    Barrie Howe Environment Agency (Chairman)
    Steve Bungay Consultant / FWR (Secretary)
    Gordon Jones FWR
    Alice Horton CEH
    Stephen Palmer Stantec (formerly MWH)

    The meeting started with roundtable introductions. Apologies were received from a number of the forum members. Alice was welcomed as the newest member of the Forum.

  2. Minutes of the 61st Meeting

    Minutes of the meeting were accepted.

  3. Matters arising and items not on the agenda

    3.1 ROCKS
    SB gave a brief update on the latest ROCK regarding Climate Change – The Fundamentals, which was published in March 2017. Everyone agreed that the A5 paper copy was a very professional looking document. GJ explained that not all ROCKs are succinct enough to be published in that format.

    NOTE – Perhaps a requirement of a ROCK is that it is structured in this manner. There has been approval from the Council for a new ROCK for microplastics.

    Debbie Ruck has been in direct contact with AH, and AH has agreed to author this ROCK.

    3.2 Briefing Notes / Newsletter
    GJ brought paper copies of the spring Newsletter for the panel members. SB highlighted the content of the spring Newsletter. The lead article discussed the problem with microplastics, and was authored by AH. SB had written an introductory article on AMR, which is one of the key areas of focus this year. At the previous meeting, it was agreed to ensure that the forum members were on the distribution list for the newsletter. SB will check with Maxine Forshaw to see if this is the case. The Newsletter now includes a brief report on the Forum’s meetings. This won’t be every issue, as there are four Newsletters per year, and only three forum meetings. The Newsletter also included details of the recent CIWEM seminar covering sludge deregulation, and a recent conference in Sao Paulo, where forum members SB and Pete Vale were presenting.

    3.3 Website
    Since the last forum meeting, the website has been updated. There is the normal link to the Wastewater section from the home page. The opening page of the Wastewater section http://www.fwr.org/wransom1.html has been updated and now opens with an introduction to the forum, and our remit. Further down the page there are brief details of the speakers from the previous meeting, which included AH, and Prof Apostolos Antonacopoulos and Dr Blake Prime from the University of Salford.

    From the Wastewater section’s opening page, there is a “Meetings” tab, which has a drop down menu to “Last Meeting”, “Presentations”, “Archive”, and “Terms of Ref”.

    3.4 Social Media
    The forum twitter account @F4WaterResearch is slowly getting more followers. From the previous meeting the number of followers had increased from 42 to 79.

    SB manages the account. It requires a password to access, and Twitter identifies any devices used to access the account.
  4. Areas of Research
    The four key areas (with topic leads) continue as a focus for the forum:

    1. Anti Microbial Resistance (Andrew Wheatley)
    2. Chemical Investigations Programme (Barrie Howe)
    3. Microplastics (Pete Vale)
    4. Unflushables (Nick Orman)

    It was discussed whether the areas of focus cast-in-stone, and how long they remain a key area. It was agreed by all, that the key areas are flexible. SB explained that having an area of focus makes it easier to source speakers. We will always welcome presentations from innovative technologies such as the Hot Microbubble technology, and the Dewatering Estimation Test (DET), from a previous meeting. Urban drainage, and anaerobic wastewater treatment technologies remain of key interest to the forum.

    4.1 Anti Microbial Resistance
    Andrew Wheatley is potentially retiring, so we may need to identify another member to front this area of focus.

    BH has contacts in the EA regarding AMR. The EA have had a workshop on AMR relating to AMR, and there are gaps in our knowledge on it. The WaSCs are proposing a study on AMR in PR19. AMR could be part of CIP3. BH will think about suitable people for presenting to the forum. BH suggested Prof Jason Snape – AstraZeneca as a potential presenter.

    It may be that the FWR could produce ROCK for AMR. GJ to check if funding is available.

    4.2 Chemical Investigations Programme
    Aqua Enviro are organising a conference on 4 to 5th July on the findings on the CIP2 phosphorus monitoring programme. CIP3 will consider recovery from the technologies. CIP2 is mainly about removing phosphorus from final effluents, and doesn’t consider recovery in much detail.

    CIWEM are organising a conference on the 14th September on the CIP outputs / Defra strategy.

    Reduction at source needs consideration. There has been failure of Biotic Standards for mercury (EQS Directive), regarding adverse affects on human health, and secondary poisoning of ecology.

    4.3 Microplastics
    SB wrote an introductory article on microplastics for the February Newsletter. AH presented on microplastics at the last meeting, and has since written a lead article for the May Newsletter. Tom Stanton will be giving a follow up presentation today.

    4.4 Unflushables
    NO and PV not able to attend today. Todays meeting clashed with the UDG, which NO was attending. Unflushables remain an area of focus that we will move on to. SB explained the need to seek support from members such as NO, Simon Tait and Richard Kellegher, with the aspiration to cover urban drainage and possibly introducing unflushables in the spring 2018 meeting.

  5. Other areas of research
    5.1 Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment
    This remains as a potential future key area of focus.

    5.2 Urban Drainage
    This remains as another potential future key area of focus. SB explained that he wanted to bring this back as an area of focus, potentially in the first meeting of 2018, as mentioned above under “Unflushables”.

  6. Future Technical Presentations
    Identifying the key areas of research has helped to focus the presentations, as it helps to identify speakers. Recently the uptake of speakers has improved, and the forum has been approached about potential presentations. The quality of the presentation remains consistently high.

  7. Conferences and Key Dates
    22nd June Urban Drainage Group Summer Event (CIWEM)
    4 – 5th July The BIG Phosphorus Conference and Exhibition (Aqua Enviro)
    5 – 6th July UK AD & Biogas World Biogas Expo 2017 (ADBA)
    9 -13th July SludgeTech 2017

  8. Any other business
    8.1 CIP2

    CIP is reporting at the moment. There will be a five-year programme of over 100 STWs. This will feature heavily in AMP7 based on the first year of analysis. CIWEM is looking at hosting an event 14th September 2017. This conference should present the data captured during CIP2 by the WaSCs.

    8.2 Forum Membership
    AH is the latest member of the forum. Currently, membership includes two water companies, two universities, four consultancies, two regulators, and three independent consultants. Ana Soares – Cranfield University has agreed to join the forum. Tom Arnot – Bath University, and Eve Germain-Cripps have both been been invited, but to date they haven’t responded.

  9. Actions
    1. BH Approach Dr Jason Snape about presenting o AMR at a forum meeting.
    2. GJ Speak with FWR about ROCK for AMR.
    3. PV/NO Provide information/update on extract blockages/SNAP group
    4. ALL Suggestions for presentations
      Suggestions for new members

  10. Technical Presentations
    There were 14 attendees for the technical presentations (including speakers and CIWEM WwBP): Steve Bungay, Alastair Chisholm, Pratik Desai, Sophie Dunajko, Karyn Georges, Laura Grant, Alice Horton, Barrie Howe, Gordon Jones, Stephen Palmer, Pete Pearce, Tom Taylor, Matt Smyth, Tom Stanton.

    Sources, pathways and receptors of microplastic pollution in the UK
    Tom Stanton, Research Student – University of Nottingham
    The ubiquitous distribution of microplastic pollution in marine environments has been extensively documented over the past decade, however, in recent years continental environments have been recognised as important sources of the marine microplastic problem.

    Tom’s research considers the role of atmospheric and freshwater environments in the UK as sources of microplastic pollution and pathways for their transport to the marine environment, as well as how biotic and abiotic factors intercept this transport.

    Hot Microbubble Injection in Thin Layers for Ammonia – Water Separations
    Pratik Desai, Research Associate - University of Sheffield / Research & Innovations Manager – Perlemax Ltd

    Pratik’s research is based on increasing the regeneration performance of the liquid catholyte via microbubbles and plasma activation. Using a fluidic oscillator to generate microbubbles for stripping of ammonia via Microbubble Mediated Ammonia Recovery Processes (MMARP), potentially recovering ammonia as a pure product.

    As normal their presentations will be available at the FWR website http://www.fwr.org/wransom1.html along with an archive of presentations from past meetings.

    Pratik’s presentation was a great contrast to Tom’s presentation, showcasing an innovative technology in wastewater treatment.

  11. Date of next meetings
    The date of the next meeting of the Forum is: Wednesday 18th October 2017, commencing at 11:00 hrs.